Sunday, April 1, 2012
Italian Easter (meat) Pie is a tradition my husband grew up with. The Intrieri family would make the pies
every Good Friday. Since my husband was best friends with the son, Robert, he was able to partake
of their wonderful cooking! I will be making these pies this Good Friday in keeping with the tradition.
This is Angie Intrieri's recipe:
Italian Easter Pie, makes 5 pies
6 cups flour
1-1/2 cups crisco
6 eggs, well beaten
1 t. salt
water***add enough to make a soft dough (4-5T), roll thin
2 lb. ricotta cheese
8 raw eggs, well beaten
12 hard cooked eggs
2-1/2 lb. cooked ham, diced
1 small mozzarella, diced
1 stick pepperoni, casing removed, diced
salt and pepper
romano cheese, to taste
1. put all ingredients in large bowl and mix well.
2. roll dough thin to line pie pans.
3. divide filling evenly among pans.
4. roll dough thin to top pie pans.
5. brush top doughs with egg yolk glaze (1 egg yolk + 1 T. water)
6. slit dough for air vents.
7. bake 350-375* (depending on oven) for about an hour. should be golden brown.
can eat warm, room temperature or cold